Over the years the customer range has varied almost as much as the city of Melbourne.
City Hatters has served old, young, titled, swaggies, footy followers, RSL, race goers, Governors General, actors, personalities and anyone requiring a hat for any occasion.
City Hatters began trading as a hat shop beneath the clocks at Flinders Street station in 1910.
Originally it was the station master’s office when Flinders Street station was built and after this the builder used the office when the master moved upstairs. It became a hat shop owned and managed by the Buzolich family and called Buzolich’s. Doug Buzolich was one of five brothers who owned 4 shops in Melbourne and one in Geelong . The one remaining was the Flinders Street shop.
HB’s acquired Buzolich’s in 1927. Wallace, Buck (of Henry Bucks fame) & Goodes were major suppliers and Henry Buck himself acquired the business after a friendly exchange of assets and debts and have owned and managed the store ever since.
In 1934 Bill Littlehales became the manager and buyer and worked there for over 50 years and was one of the last of the legendary great hatters, retiring finally in 1990.
Major events on the City Hatters calendar are The Derby, The Melbourne Cup and Christmas.
Our welcoming, knowledgeable and competent staff look forward to your visit